What are UCITS?
Undertakings for Collective Investment in Transferable Securities, or “UCITS” are a group of European Union Directives that aim to allow collective investment schemes to operate independently throughout the EU on the basis of a single authorisation from one member state.
Benefits of UCITS based in Malta
- EU passporting rights: UCITS established in Malta can be advertised in all EU/EEA member states;
- Up to speed regulatory framework: Malta is ranked top for transposing EU directives into national law;
- Economies of scale: larger distribution network that is achievable through a UCITS scheme, resulting in a reduction in costs for investment;
- Structuring opportunities: interested parties are given the option to set up umbrella funds, allowing different sub- funds and share classes;
- Competitive fiscal structure: there is no tax on UCITS income or capital gains, unless it is invested in immovable property situated in Malta;
- Investors are not taxed, unless they are resident in Malta, in which case there is a 15% tax on income and realised capital gains;
- Lower costs: cheaper set-up and running costs;
- Flexible regulator: the Malta Financial Services Authority is Malta’s sole regulator and has developed a global reputation of being dynamic and flexible.
How Zeta can help
Our team of experts have a combined experience of more than forty years in the funds sector and can provide you with more information to help establish and find the best-tailored solution for you to develop and evolve your fund.