Aviation in Malta (AOC & AOL)
Zeta is a leading Service Provider with its Head Office based in Malta. We are able to assist our clients in obtaining an Air Operator’s Certificate (AOC) and an Air Operator’s Licence (AOL) by handling the entire application process from the start to execution. We have a team of people on board who have the know-how and expertise to ensure that the entire application process is seamless.
Obtaining an AOC in Malta
Maltese AOCs are issued on the basis of Regulation (EC) 216/2008 and its Implementing Rules. Depending on your particular requirements we can assist you with obtaining the type of AOC necessary. The application for the initial issue of a full-blown AOC, inclusive of supporting documentation, should be submitted at least 90 days prior to the intended commencement of operations.
- Initial AOC fee = 25% of the AOC fee (dependent on MTOM);
- The Operations Manual (ORO.MLR.100);
- EASA Compliance Schedule (Part ORO, CAT & SPA);
- Operations Approval – request form;
- The Number of the Aircraft;
- Resume of Accountable Manager and Nominated Persons;
- Operators Proposed Schedule of Events for the Certiﬁcation Process;
- Application for Part M Subpart G CAMO approval (EASA Form 2G);
- The Continuing Airworthiness Management Exposition Part – M.A.704;
- The Aircraft Maintenance Programme Part – M.A. 302;
- The Aircraft Technical Log System Part –M.A. 306; and,
- The Technical Specification(s) of the Maintenance Support Contract(s) with Part- 145 Approved Maintenance Organisation(s) Part – M.A. 708(c).
- Submission of the “Prospective Operator’s Pre-assessment Statement” (POPS).
- A pre-application meeting is held with the Civil Aviation Directorate in Malta.
- Following clearance by the Civil Aviation Directorate, the application for an AOC is submitted.
- Standard procedures are then followed to assess operational safety and certify proposed operations.
- An AOC is issued upon compliance with all set requirements.
Obtaining an AOL in Malta
In order to operate commercial air services an air carrier requires an Operating Licence. There is an Operating Licence for operators of aircraft with 20 or more seats and an Operating Licence for operators of aircraft with less than 20 seats.
The following are the pre-requisites for an AOL applicant:
- The undertaking must have its principal place of business and registered office in Malta;
- It must hold a valid AOC issued by the Malta’s Civil Aviation Directorate;
- It must have one or more aircraft at its disposal through ownership or a dry lease agreement;
- Its main occupation must be to operate air services in isolation or combined with any other commercial operation of aircraft or the repair and maintenance of aircraft;
- Its company structure is such as to allow the proper implementation of Regulation (EC) 1008/2008;
- More than 50% of its shareholding is owned and effectively controlled by EU Member States and/or nationals of Member States, whether directly or indirectly through one or more intermediate undertakings, except for in an agreement with a third country to which the European Community is a party;
- The undertaking meets financial conditions specified by law;
- It complies with insurance requirements specified by Regulation (EC) No. 785/2004; and,
- It complies with provisions on good repute specified by law.
In respect of Individual Shareholders/Ultimate beneficiaries/Directors the following documents are required:
- Certified copy of a passport;
- Certified or original bank reference letter;
- Certified copy of a utility bill (not older than three months);
- Original Police Conduct Certificate; and,
- Original/apostilled Legal Opinion.
In respect of Corporate Shareholders/Ultimate beneficiaries:
- Certified copy of the Memorandum & Articles of Association/constitutive documents;
- Certified copy or original Certificate of Incorporation;
- Certified copy or original Bank reference letter;
- Certified copy of an original Certificate of Good Standing; and,
- Detailed ownership structure confirmed and apostilled by a lawyer.
For more information on how Zeta can assist you please contact our Business Development department on email@example.com.