Zeta is one of Malta’s leading Corporate Service Providers. We have been providing comprehensive services to companies, organizations and individuals since 2012. As our experience and expertise grow, our portfolio of services grows in proportion. We have all the resources and experience necessary to guide you through the process of gaining Residency through the various programs in the most efficient way.
With all these advantages, Maltese residency is ideal for ambitious and driven individuals wishing to enjoy the acquire the benefits of EU membership while basing themselves in such an outstanding strategic location, with a highly trained and linguistically agile workforce, very friendly tax regime, superb weather, beaches that are among the best in the world, and that has excellent air and sea links to all global hubs. Zeta is an Accredited Agent licensed and authorised by the relevant Authority to act on behalf of its clients.
In 2015, the Government of Malta introduced the Malta Residence and Visa Programme (MRVP), whereby Third Country Nationals and their family who are able to bring investment to Malta, are granted Maltese residency and may reside, settle and stay in Malta indefinitely, as well as travel within the Schengen area without the need of applying for a visa.
Benefits of the Malta Residence and Visa Programme:
- Applicants have the option of applying for a tax number in Malta, which allows them to become a tax resident. A person resident but not domiciled in Malta is only taxed on income remitted and/or arising in Malta and capital gains arising in Malta, excluding any capital gains arising outside of Malta. Income received or arising in Malta is normally taxed at a progressive rate of 0% to 35%.
- Operate your business in Malta. The financial services regulations in Malta are in line with EU standards and regulations, making it an ideal environment in which to conduct business.
- Opportunity to apply for long term resident status after residing in Malta for 5 years consecutively and, where successful, access to free medical care & free state
- Gain free movement within the 26 countries comprising the Schengen Area:
Who is Eligible?
This programme is intended for third-country nationals therefore, Maltese, EEA and Swiss nationals are excluded and cannot apply. Furthermore, nationals from Afghanistan, Iran and North Korea are not allowed to apply for the MRVP.
- The main applicant must be at least 18 years of age;
- Has an annual income of not less than €100,000 arising outside of Malta, or has in his possession a capital of not less than €500,000;
- Has stable and regular resources which are sufficient to maintain him/herself and any of his/her dependents;
- Be in possession of valid travel documents;
- Be in possession of health insurance in respect of all risks covered for Maltese Nationals.
How Zeta Can Help
The application for the MVRP can only be submitted through the services of a registered accredited agent. Zeta is listed as an accredited agent and can provide guidance throughout the process. The overall duration of the process depends on the timely provision of the necessary documentation. Zeta will guide and assist applicants in putting together and submitting their applications in the most timely and efficient manner possible.
The Malta Retirement Programme is for retirees or adults nearing retirement age and who are considering taking up residence overseas. Malta is located in the middle of the Mediterranean sea, its warm climate, culture, health care has made the island an attractive retirement location. retirees can also benefit from a flat rate of 15% on all foreign source income which is remitted to Malta, subject to a minimum annual tax.
Benefits of the Malta Retirement Programme
Applicants that decide to take up residence in Malta through the Malta Retirement Programme will benefit from a flat tax rate of 15% on the pension remitted and a minimum tax payable amount of €7,500 in annual tax. An additional €500 is to be paid annually for every dependent or special carer engaged.
Who is Eligible?
- EU/EEA or Swiss national;
- Receive your pension income in Malta and must constitute at least 75% of your chargeable income;
- Applicants cannot be in an employment relationship however, may hold non-executive roles on the board of a Maltese company;
- Purchase a property with a minimum value of €275,000 (situated in the north and central areas of Malta), or €250,000 (situated in Gozo or in the south of Malta) or rental of a property for a minimum of €9,600 per annum (situated the north and central areas of in Malta), or €8,750 (situated in Gozo or in the south of Malta);
- Be covered by an EU Health Insurance Policy;
- Be a fit and proper person with no criminal record. In addition, a due diligence exercise is carried out by the Maltese Inland Revenue Department before the granting of the special tax status.
How Zeta Can Help
Applications for the Malta Retirement Programme can only be submitted through a Maltese authorised agent. Zeta is an authorised agent and is here to assist applicants in this manner, making sure the process is efficient and smooth. In addition to the application, applicants need to have the correct property and health insurance in place. We also assist by providing guidance, making sure that the necessary documentation is in order with the local authorities.
Any EU, EEA, Swiss nationals or third-country nationals who wish to reside in Malta for more than 3 months, is required to apply for an e-Residence card with the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs. Prior to applying for an e-Residence card, applicants should look into renting or purchasing a property in Malta, as well as opening a Maltese bank account. This is done to provide prospective applicants substance within Malta.
Benefits of Ordinary Residence Permit:
- Tax Residence in Malta;
- Any capital gains arising from outside of Malta, and is not received in Malta, is not subject to tax in Malta;
- Any income arising from outside of Malta, and is not received in Malta, is not subject to tax in Malta.
Subject to capital gain and income arising from outside of Malta, the “remittance basis” of taxation is not applicable to individuals who apply for long-term residence or a permanent residence certificate. Such individuals would be subject to tax in Malta on a “worldwide income basis”.
Income Tax in Malta
Individuals who are ordinarily resident, but not domiciled in Malta, are subject to income tax on income arising in Malta, on income arising outside Malta but received in Malta and on capital gains arising in Malta. No tax is chargeable on capital gains that arise overseas but which are remitted to Malta.
Personal income tax is charged at progressive rates from 0% up to a maximum of 35%
Who is Eligible?
The Ordinary Residence Permit is an attractive residence scheme with many benefits. There are different grounds on which applicants may become ordinarily resident in Malta, such as:
EU/EEA or Swiss nationals have the right to enter, remain and reside in Malta. The most common scenarios being:
- Employment/self-employment in Malta;
- To study.
Third-country nationals may also apply, but their rights are not automatic. In addition, there are restrictions and conditions imposed, especially regarding employment/self-employment rights.
- Provide evidence of financial self-sufficiency needs to be demonstrated to ensure the applicant will have a high standard of living in Malta;
- Applicants need to provide proof that they have the required available funds of at least €14,000 for single persons. In the case of married couples provide proof that they have the required available funds of at least €23,500 or over, and an additional €3,500 for every dependent included in the application;
- Applicants must either purchase or rent property in Malta prior to submitting the Ordinary Residence application.
How Zeta Can Help
Applicants are required to provide a complete application with information and documentation related to the category the applicant is registering under. Zeta can assist by providing guidance, making sure that the necessary documentation is in order. Applicants will need to be present in person when visiting the local authorities, Zeta is here to assist applicants in this manner, making sure the process is efficient and smooth. In addition to the application, applicants need to have the correct property and health insurance in place.